Everyone has a phase in life when they feel that things are not in their control, they are losing everything in life and they have nobody to help them. Based on experiences of meditation teachers, yoga experts and doctors, we compiled a list of ideas that could help calm your mind during such times.
1. Accept the fact that it’s normal to have anxiety, anger, or confusion. We are born with emotions and it’s important to express our emotions.
2. Understand that we cannot control everything in our life. Try to change the things that you can and accept those that you can’t.
Always keep in mind the ‘Serenity Prayer‘:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
3. Practice slow, deep breathing exercises.
4-7-8 breathing is a great technique: Inhale through your nose for 4 seconds, hold your breath for 7 seconds and exhale through your mouth for 8 seconds.
Mindfulness and other meditation techniques could also help in relaxing your mind.
4. Talk to your family or friends. Most of the time they can help you reevaluate the situation and even divert your attention to happy experiences of your life.
Write down your feelings if you don’t have anyone to talk to. It’s ok if you are not a good writer. You are not writing a novel, just a few lines to express your state of mind.
5. Take a walk or do some physical activity. Yoga or running could increase the concentration of norepinephrine that helps in alleviating stress.
6. Listen to soothing music or your favorite songs that connect to your happy times. This may not reduce your problems but could ease your pain.
7. Think positive. It would be difficult to stay optimistic but thought that this tough time will come to an end will help you get through it easily.
Learning a new skill (like language, instrument, chess) could also help to clear your mind and to bring positive thoughts.
Blogger, Traveler and supporter of writers