- Close one credit card at a time to avoid an impact on your credit score.
- Redeem unused rewards on your account before canceling.
- Clear all your credit card payments.
- Call your credit card company to confirm that your balance on the account is $0. Ask them to cancel your credit card.
- Also, mail a certified letter (USPS certified mail) to your credit card company to cancel the account. Ask for a confirmation letter for $0 balance and closure of the account.
- Check your credit reports (Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian) after 45 days of cancellation to confirm the closure of your account.
- Dispute any incorrect information on your credit reports with the credit bureaus.
- Shred or cut your credit card after completing all the above steps.
Blogger, Traveler and supporter of writers